What is the difference between a lawyer and a gym membership? You are willing to go to the gym.
The legal industry is known for a couple of big things, including being expensive with unclear deliverables. It makes people not want to go to an attorney.
Truth is, before taking most actions, you should be in front of a lawyer describing the goals and manner of reaching those goals. Not for an attorney to say no, but for the attorney to say: sounds good, and we need to take into account these legal issues. Hanning Law Ltd. wants you to succeed and that means avoiding legal obstacles.
As such, Hanning Law Ltd. offers several subscription plans with the express purpose of being reasonably priced in order to fit your budget while helping you navigate shifting circumstances in your life and business.
Each plan applies to one business.
Individual Project Rates
In order to be as transparent as possible about what you might be paying with your specific situation and set of circumstances, I’ve provided some of my rates below as general guidance. Remember, each document is different due to context, needs, and specific concerns, as such, all the rates provided are a starting point. If you would like to get an exact number, please contact me to set up an appointment after which I will provide a quote.
Starting a business involves forming an entity, in legalese. No matter if you are an LLC, a Corporation, or a Co-operative, you will want to register with the Secretary of State, obtain an EIN, and to have suitable governance documents.
- You will pay the filing fee (generally $50 for formation)
- Governance documents such as Bylaws, Operating Agreements, and Partnership Agreements start at $600.
Contracts are the backbone of any business. From employment agreements with non-disclosure provisions to licensing intellectual property, from service agreements to ownership agreements, from leases to distribution agreements – all contracts, all the time.
- Contracts start at $450 with a range up to $1500.
- Certain contracts (Franchise Disclosures, Significantly detailed agreements, and others) will be charged hourly – please contact me for more information
Contract Review and Negotiation
A potential opportunity has put a document on your desk for signature. Before you sign, it can be important to know what is in that document, what the risks are, and if there is any possibility of limiting those risks. This can be an opportunity from severance negotiations to hiring a third-party service or even a commercial lease.
- Reviewed and Negotiated at my hourly rate.
- No minimum or maximum amount of time dedicated to each project, each project will get the time necessary for a full statement.
- You may receive an opinion letter on each document reviewed, if requested or if relevant to the purpose of review.
Intellectual Property Registrations
Copyrights and Trademarks are staples of business. From a book describing a process to your logo, it can be important to protect these assets. Registering with the Copyright Office or the United States Patent and Trademark Office can be the first step. Just remember, registration is step one, enforcement is an ongoing step two that you will have to continue to perform.
- Registration Filing Fee will be charged to you.
- Starting at $300